Peru, IL - $2,500 (Peru)

condition: good
size / dimensions: 37 inches wide by 45 inches tall
In the spring of 1835 the first building was erected in what was to become Peru by Ulysses Spaulding and H. L. Kenney. T.D. Brewster was in charge of the store. The store stocked goods to provide for the steamers that came to and docked on the Illinois at what became Peru’s riverfront. In 1836 a post office was established, the mail came from Peoria by riverboat. Soon a hotel was built followed by other buildings.
On July 4, 1836 the first shovel of dirt was dug for the Illinois-Michigan canal. The canal brought many early settlers, then came the Illinois Central Railroad that brought more. Some of the names were: William Richardson, J.P. Judson, Lisle Smith, Fletcher Webster, Daniel Townsend, James Mulford, James Meyers, William and Charles Dresser, Harvey Wood, Jesse Pugsley, Ezra McKinzie, John Hoffman, Asa Mann, George Martin and others. These settlers helped form the nucleus of the town as it rapidly grew.
On the 6th of December 1838 the inhabitants assembled at the tavern of Zimri Lewis and organized a meeting by the appointment of H.S. Beebe Chairman, and J.B. Juidson secretary and voted to take the preliminary steps for organizing a borough under the General Incorporation Act agreeing to name it Peru. A census was taken: 175 males over 21 and 251 females and minors making the total population 426 in Peru.
This depiction portrays that moment in Peru’s history. For many years it hung in the dining room of the Red Door Inn which was a popular riverfront restaurant on Peru’s Water Street.
Local pick-up or will deliver within 150 miles.

post id: 7742828131


best of [?]